This CD is one you have to grow into. When I first heard it, I hated it with the exception of a few tracks. Compared to BTE´s earlier works (Deluxe; Friction, Baby), this is a radically different CD. Instead of the normal rock ´n roll BTE fans were accustomed to, this album incorporated many synthesized effects. Each track had a very different sound. I put this CD on the rack in favour of "Friction, Baby". A few months later, I gravitated back to this CD and thought, "Hey, what the heck?" and gave it another listen. All the sudden, I really liked it. I found myself thinking how catchy and unique this was, and wondering why I didn´t like it in the first plac...展开全部»
This CD is one you have to grow into. When I first heard it, I hated it with the exception of a few tracks. Compared to BTE´s earlier works (Deluxe; Friction, Baby), this is a radically different CD. Instead of the normal rock ´n roll BTE fans were accustomed to, this album incorporated many synthesized effects. Each track had a very different sound. I put this CD on the rack in favour of "Friction, Baby".
A few months later, I gravitated back to this CD and thought, "Hey, what the heck?" and gave it another listen. All the sudden, I really liked it. I found myself thinking how catchy and unique this was, and wondering why I didn´t like it in the first place. This CD is proggressive rock, even veering toward an artsy type of rock. Some people love this stuff right away; others don´t. I think you just have to listen to it enough to really get a good feel for it. If you find yourself not liking it, come back to it later. You might surprise yourself and end up liking it.
1. Je ne m´en souviens pas - Literally, I think the title means something along the lines of ´I don´t remember´. This track has a very atmospheric feel, with less emphasis on the lyrics and more on the music and mood it creates. It includes extensive use of synthesizers, but it sounds really good.
2. One More Murder - This is completely different from the stuff you´d find on other BTE albums. There isn´t much emphasis on guitars; again, more synthesizer use. It has a catchy tune and good lyrics (a BTE standard in my opinion).
3. At the Stars - If don´t like anything on the album, this will be the exception. It´s a beautiful song with great lyrics. My friends have called this the only ´normal´ track on the CD - in other words, less synth stuff, more emphasis on the guitar and vocals. This is a great song, even better if you get a chance to hear it live.
4. Like It Like That - This song is absolute fun. There´s kind of a samba beat going on. It´s one of those songs that makes you want to get up and dance.
5. Allison Foley - I´ve heard people call this song ´anti-folk´ - kind of an odd way to categorise it. It starts of with a twangy guitar, and eventually ends up in your average rock ´n roll distorted guitars. I love the lyrics and the guitar work in this one.
6. Under You - This is the first ´ballad´ of the album. It´s soft, with a great chorus. The vocals are the highlight of this one.
7. Live Again - This is one of the best slow songs on the disc. There´s some cool guitar effects happening the intro, and the melody line is great. It´s a catchy song that will stick in your head for days (and you´ll still love it!!). It´s a very pretty song.
8. Happy Day MaMa - This is another fun song, like "Like It Like That". The lyrics are pretty amusing, the song is dancable, it´s fun to sing along with. An all-around good song.
9. Pull - This is hard rock. It´s completely different from everything else in the album. This is your classic rock with distorted guitars, lyrics bordering sleazy, loud and catchy. It´s got everything. For me to fully appreciate this song though, I had to see it live. Still, it´s a great track to listen to if you´re in an I-don´t-care mood.
10. Particle - This brings an atmospheric feel again at points. It´s a bit of a combination of tracks 1 and 2 of this disc. I really like some of the vocal work in this.
11. Beautiful Mistake - This is a very pretty song. The lyrics are well-written and the music fits in perfectly. It creates a very unique mood - one that´s a bit sombre, yet still has hope.
12. Everything in 2´s - A good love song. It has some acoustic guitar work and some synthesized things in it. It all fits together well.
13. New Kind of Low - a) Low: This part is the rocking part. It´s loud...and, well, loud. I really like it, but some people think it´s a bit weird.
b) Coma: This is the soft part. There´s some keyboard/synth stuff going on, with lyrics continuing from part a of the track. It´s very mellow and relaxing, a big change from part a.
14. Waxing or Waning? - I really like this track. It has a New Orleans feel to it. It´s all acoustic guitar, with a bit of trumpet playing in it. The lyrics are really good, as are the vocals.
This is a great album. For me, this was a turning point for exploring more music with different sounds that just plain rock. It incorporates many things, and I find that it is very unique. It´s probably one of the best discs in my collection.